Serious Accident Alert
An electrician was replacing a blown fuse by hand. The circuit had residual stored energy which caused the electricity to pass through his hand and exit through his calf which was in contact with the bottom of the cabinet.
- Lock out / Tag out electrically powered equipment.
- Test for stored electrical power and ground high-voltage circuits if possible.
- Utilize proper electrically rated personal protective equipment (i.e. Fuse pullers, hot gloves).
- Utilize properly sized and rated fuses in electrical equipment.
- Use insulated mats or other electrically non-conductive materials at switches.
- Only trained and authorized persons should work on electrically powered equipment.